The Gotthard Tunnel is officially inaugurated on 22 May 1882. Around 15 kilometres in length, it is the world's longest rail tunnel at the time. Overseeing construction is the privately owned Gotthardbahn AG (Gotthard Railway Company), headed by Alfred Escher. International treaties give the Confederation a major role in rail construction for the first time. The tunnel is mostly financed by foreign capital and is a great commercial success. The results in its first year of operation vastly exceed expectations, with six times as many passengers and twice the volume of freight originally forecast.
« Mr G of the Council recognised a small crystal from 5081, half a millimetre in size and resembling yellow titanite, as turnerite. »Special supplement to the Federal Council reports on the affairs of the Gotthard Railway Company, p. 157, 1882